Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Here's a random blog instead, which I feel the need to interject between epic biographical blogs:
Today, my butt is falling asleep to the the beautiful sounds of classical piano played by the expressive Tom Barabas. Thanks Tom, this is only the eleveth time I've heard Pachelbel's Canon today...
One of the club members just walked by and said "Hey Curly!" - which is apparently my new nickname. It is bad enough that my new haircut is still "shocking" people and leading them to make strange comments two weeks later - but now I have an itching urge to go "knuuuuck nuc nuc" and poke him in the nose...
This makes me think of how Danny is one of the strangest men on the planet to actually like my short hair (sometimes BETTER than the long hair). He picks out my shoes better than I can, he likes my cat, and he actually supports my short hair adventures. I think women must be lining up to knock me out so they can have a chance with him. I would understand. I would not be suprised if some random lady offered me money to have Danny pretend to be her boyfriend for a day. Too bad, he's not for sale - love you baby!
Hmm... I am hoping to finish spraying the house for bugs when I get home - I am the terminator. I have been forbidden to "bomb" the house again so I have settled for soaking the perimeter with home-pest poison. Bryan better watch where he pees - there may be a chemical reaction. But there will be no bugs... none... ever. AHAHHHHHHAAAAAAAh. Ha.
My mom wants me to write a book for spare cash... I was thinking like tutoring or mowing lawns or something - she realy has a lot of faith in me. Do you know how much work it takes to write a BOOK? She says 10 or 12 chapters should do it... Oh OK, well that makes it OK. Maybe I will.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
We wake to a lovely breakfast of eggs and bacon. Pappy shows off his skills of frying the eggs in the bacon grease – the only way to cook eggs – apparently. I am not complaining.
And… we are OFF! To the golf course for a day of turf–chunking adventure! We somehow end up with a set of left handed rentals… ok? Breanna anxiously takes the driver’s seat and whisks away in her golf cart with Josh. Danny takes us down behind them as we weave around the clubhouse and down to tee off. We decide to play best ball – since none of us knows how to golf properly.
I begin to show off right away – smacking the ball WAY far down the fairway with my trusty 3-iron. This immediately becomes my favorite club which I decide I will use for nearly every swing. I basically kick everyone’s butt on the first drive. I am amazing.
Immediately my LPGA dreams are shattered as I realize that a 3–iron is not the very best for every shot... nor are my arms for that matter. Danny steals the show with his stunning, stylish fedora hat and Ray Bans – also his obvious knack for golfing comes to the surface – a late bloomer!!!
Breanna and I decide that golf is funny, and it will be even funnier if we make it onto the green.
Brinn and Uncle Todd are one hole behind us... now they are practically on top of us! We hurry along to the next hole and Brinn follows us, pats Danny on the back and says, “You guys need to play best ball so we can keep things moving, you know – you only use the best ball from each couple to play on.” We look at each other as he explains it and we all crack up because we HAVE been playing best ball!!!
We continue along – going as quickly as possible while still taking time to smell the roses. Might as well enjoy ourselves!
Several exciting events ensue:
- Todd is spotted climbing through the bushes high on the hill searching for a lost ball. We think he must have found at least 3 geo-caches by now!
- Danny and Josh both slice a ball into the same pond off the same tee, Breanna wins the hole!
- Breanna and Josh nearly knock me out of the cart when they decide it will be fun to play bumper carts. It probably would have been more fun if I hadn’t been joyriding with my legs hanging out the side…
- After a nice drive, Danny’s ball lands directly atop an existing ball hiding in the rough – and it bounces perfectly onto the fairway. Later a disgruntled golfer emerges from below and claims that Danny stole his ball.
- Breanna has some beautiful shots, a few are even accompanied by a bonus spray of dirt as a sizable chunk of turf attempts to join the ball in flight. I don’t think anyone could whack the turf as high as Bre can, she holds the honors.
- Danny decides that the back of the chipper makes a decent putter when I am too slow to bring him the putter from the cart.
- Josh blooms into a regular Tiger by the 9th hole, and the boys have completely taken over!
- Danny sets up an expert putt on the 18th hole as Josh and Breanna stage a full WWF brawl on the green – it is really and interesting mix of sports.
I think I’ve won – but who’s counting?
We park at the clubhouse and have ourselves a fine round of classy golfer’s brew: Bud Light for all!!! Beautiful.
Next on the list – Aunt Shara’s BBQ! Barry welcomes us with a “here – eat this” slice of smoked ham fresh off the spit – Oh yeah!!! More brews and delicious foods take us into a beautiful