Thursday, March 25, 2010

Brain Storm Forecast: Cloudy with a Chance of Sunshine

ALRIGHT. I’ve got it.

So in the last month and a half since I blogged, I have tossed myself headfirst into the world of wine. I’ve thoroughly read two editions of the Wine Spectator (and that is a THICK magazine). I’ve tasted some fabulous glasses and I can now address the local wine bar employees by name. I’ve spent about $100.00 on some great deals at BevMo during their 5–cent sale, I now have a small collection of different varietals and vintages that have and will continue to further my education daily. I have enjoyed the incredible company of my Uncle Marty and Aunt Lily, who share their lovely expensive wines and cheeses with me so I may know the differences (and get a bit drunk, mind you). I’ve even convinced our lead Sommelier and restaurant manager at the Shores to consider me for a cocktailing position so I may learn more about the industry.

So why am I sitting in my chair, questioning myself? You see I just read Tim Burton’s biography on Wikipedia, since Alice in Wonderland just came out I’ve been re-fascinated with his genius. I keep thinking that I need to be releasing my creative energy – not locking myself into a stuffy profession where snobs prevail. Yes I could be a very fun, entertaining snob – but if I give in to the high society service industry – it may be giving up a huge part of what I really want to do. I need to make music, write, and teach. Teaching… wasn’t that on my list?

Now don’t you go and think I’m giving up on wine – by no means is that on the agenda. I am still just as fired up as I ever was. It is very un-affordable for me right now, I can’t keep dropping Franklins at BevMo and paying for $10 glasses of fine Zins twice a week. I certainly can’t afford fancy tasting dinners or touring through Napa. I’m just going to have to stick with raiding Uncle Marty’s fabulous collection and reading about how wine tastes.

My next move is to stop being a lazy butt. There are more usable hours in the day than what I’m using – I need to get myself in the teaching door. Get off my butt – volunteer. I’ve gotten all the forms and things, I just need to walk across the street and DO IT. I will also staple a big Nike swoosh to the ceiling above my bed so I can remember that I need to JUST DO IT.

I realize that I KNOW I am going to be a teacher. I am somehow going to end up there in some capacity. I have been making excuses because I’m afraid to dedicate myself to something. It’s hard!!! Here are my excuses: There’s not much money in it, there’s a lot of politics in it, you could grow to be a crazy parent if you’re a teacher (Kim maybe you can give me your opinion on this one?), you can be laid off in a pinch (I may not be able to get a job – period), and you have to deal with crazy parents – ick! And it pretty much goes without saying that sleeve tattoos will be marked off my to-do-list, Family: you may begin the happy dance now.

BUTT! But... It is clear as day to me that I need to be spreading my enthusiasm for writing, reading, poetry, music, etc. Those are not only my joys but my natural talents. I would be silly to change directions completely right now. I need to finish what I started - by starting back on the same path I've always known. I don't need career advice. I need a damn swoosh on my ceiling so I can kick my own butt to where I know it belongs.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I am a rare case, but I don't think my parents made crazy-teacher parents. I can see how that would happen though. Just because someone can pass certification tests and be hired to be a teacher, does not a teacher make. It is a land full of politics and impossible situations, and there are plenty of people who go into teaching for the wrong reasons, with the wrong training, or worse, an agenda. SO, as a teacher who may also be a parent, it could be tempting to attack every teacher with your list of You Better Be a Good Teacher for My Baby Let Me Tell You How.

    But, if you're doing that, you're not a terribly good parent, teacher or no. You should be concerned about the quality of education your children get (my mom made sure I went to good schools, even if it meant petitioning to go to different districts), but you also have to trust that you have raised your kid well, and that they will be able to deal with the inevitable moron that happens to hold a teaching credential. A foundation of good intellectual habits make a difference. If things get extreme, of course a parent should intervene. But there are plenty of crazy parents who think they know everything about teaching and get pushy and nosy who aren't teachers.

    WHEW. I don't know if that's the sort of response you were looking for, but there it is.

    Oh, and as for money... my parents worked until their late 50s and early 60s, and because of good investments, saving and being thrifty, a good retirement plan (teachers can retire with awesome plans), and they have BANK now. Seriously. I could tell you later if you really want to know. Teaching does not have to be a poor industry (though you will not become Bill Gates).

    ReplyDelete